Sunday, March 9, 2008

That is a Dead Man

Perhaps the rain is dark, tonight.
Be serious: this is a funeral,
and comb your hair for God's sake,
put a tie on, wax your eyebrows.
Be dignified (and please don't cry).

Perhaps the rain smells nice, like
the petals (and the open wooden box)
that overwhelmed my eyes.
(They took his out,
apparently the eyes are useful
past death).

Perhaps the rain is rich:
STREETS OF GOLD.
HE WALKS ON STREETS OF GOLD:
I'd rather walk on wet soil
and not worry about it sticking
to the white carpet.
I think he'd rather ride his motorcycle.

Perhaps the rain is sonorous,
My voice cracked a few times
on the high 'E'. Eternal: Father: Strong (to save?).

Perhaps the rain is envious,
And death, Jesus,
How am I going to deal with Jesus Christ,
when my heart stops moving?

Perhaps the rain is full of salt:
There was so much ham after the funeral,
there was only one dish of macaroni.
I wanted to take half of it.
I hope he doesn't see me hiding now.

Perhaps the rain is full of life,
and perhaps:
Perhaps not.

No comments: