Friday, October 31, 2008

What a Stranger Is

From light-years to lit
concrete tiles apart, we
stand invisible to each
other. Indecision under
each lip-emission, gaseous
or otherwise, stretches
time into webbed time.
Query: are you capable
of listening? Please quit
listing my iniquities and
trust this intimacy, now.
A kiss? No. Unfortunate
that you should ask, in fact,
since all my passion dictates
that I kiss those whom I lack.
Unfortunate that I...
Unfortunate that I...
Unfortunate that I've gone up
in smoke since we spoke last.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this. Have you taken any poetry classes?

I'd wonder who it's about, if anyone in particular, but I almost think it's better to read it without knowing; the realm of possibilities adds to it somehow.

Eat a Book said...

I took one, freshman year, sort of a survey course that was mostly about reading, though we did experiment a little with Japanese syllabic forms. I really appreciate your comment :); though my poems are often based on particular experiences, I think you're right in saying that sometimes it's better not to know details of the speaker's experience.